Holistic Therapy 101: A Mind-Body Approach to Mental Health
“Holistic” is so much more than a buzzword – it’s an entire school of thought! At its core, the term holistic means to look at something from a whole, complete perspective. And when we apply this framework to therapy, we approach it from looking at ourselves as a whole – and not just the parts or segments we wish to change.
Curious whether holistic therapy is right for you? Read below to learn about holistic therapy, and how to find a holistic therapist who’s right for you.
What is holistic therapy?
Holistic therapy is a mind-body integrative approach to therapy. Some major types of holistic therapy include:
• Mindfulness-based approaches, like body scan meditations
• Bodywork, such as breathing practices and yoga
• Physical healing, such as reiki and acupuncture
The different combinations and approaches to holistic therapy range from therapist to therapist – but the universal goal is to find a harmonious balance.
Who are holistic therapists?
A holistic therapist is any therapist who utilizes alternative approaches in their client work. Regardless of approach, any therapist you see should have board certification, such as Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
A holistic therapist will use holistic approaches in conjunction with evidence-based treatment approaches.
What training do holistic therapists have?
Holistic therapists incorporate their training in various therapy types, including (but not limited to):
• Psychodynamic therapy
• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
• Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
• Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR)
• Nutrition and diet counsel
• Guided imagery
Holistic therapists seek to help clients cultivate mindfulness skills that can improve emotion regulation and enhance their quality of life.
What are the benefits of holistic therapy?
Like any form of therapy, holistic therapy aims to alleviate life problems or stressors. In doing so, this form of therapy aims to balance all aspects of your life – which can leave you feeling more positive and well-rounded.
Holistic therapy can help to:
• Reduce mental fatigue
• Increase mental clarity and stamina
• Elevate happiness and mood levels
• Improve sleep quality
• Better understand the root cause of physical and mental health concerns
How can I find a holistic therapist who’s right for me?
When looking for a holistic therapist, check that the therapist:
• Takes your health insurance, or that their fees are within your therapy budget.
• Specializes in your unique concerns.
• Has availability and office hours that work with your schedule.
• Is a good personal fit!
Ready to find a holistic therapist and address your mental and emotional health? Visit Zencare.co to find vetted holistic therapists near you! Watch videos of therapists and book free initial calls to find a great fit.
This is a guest post from Zencare, a website that helps people find their ideal talk therapist. Visit Zencare.co to browse their vetted network of top therapists – using criteria like insurance, sliding scale, location, and specialties. You can also directly book a free assessment call from the Zencare site!